Building Energy Analyst
Building Performance Analyst
(Full-time position; work from home in British Columbia)
- Are you passionate about reducing energy use and greenhouse gas emissions in existing buildings?
- Do you want to be part of a team that is playing a leadership role in the transition to a low carbon future?
- Do you enjoy working independently, appreciate flexibility, and enjoy working from home?
- Are you based in British Columbia (Canada)?
The Role: We are seeking an experienced Building Performance Analyst who is excited by the challenge of reducing greenhouse gas emissions through retrofits to existing multi-family and commercial buildings. Join our dynamic team in shaping the way we can accelerate the goal of net zero by analyzing building performance, producing retrofit and feasibility studies and helping inform research that creates retrofit programs. FRESCo offers a work-from-home-workplace, flexible work hours, competitive compensation, a tight-knit team of colleagues, a mission to reduce greenhouse gas emissions reductions and a continual flow of interesting and rewarding projects. Please read the job qualifications carefully and apply only if you meet the minimum qualifications listed.
- Independently create energy models for existing multi-family/commercial buildings ensuring alignment with utility consumption data.
- Independently complete hourly energy models to assess pathways to achieve energy and emissions targets following different funding program requirements (CMHC, CleanBC, FCM, etc)
- Support our Lead Energy Engineer and assessment team with the development and refinement of calculation methodologies for energy assessments/studies, with a particular focus on deep decarbonization projects
- Characterize space-by-space heating and cooling loads to support Mechanical Engineers with sizing of HVAC systems (particularly heat pumps).
- Explore retrofit options including heat pumps, heat recovery ventilation, passive cooling, roof, wall and window upgrades, existing boiler efficiency measures.
- Work collaboratively with our energy assessment and mechanical design teams to provide our clients and partners with building performance assessments and effective design solutions that improve occupant comfort, make buildings more resilient to the impacts of climate change and deliver quantifiable energy savings and greenhouse gas emissions reductions.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the team to continuously refine tools to integrate building and equipment data into modeling and semi-automated report generation.
- Collaborate on gathering data on existing buildings with other team members from a variety of sources: original drawing scans, Building Condition Assessments, maintenance schedules, equipment lists and site visit photos.
- Support FRESCo’s policy and strategy research with modelling/analysis that demonstrates operational cost reductions, energy savings and greenhouse gas emissions from building retrofits.
- To bring your energy, ideas, dedication and attention to detail.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Can-do attitude and passion for decarbonization of existing multi-family buildings.
- Ability to efficiency and effectively work independently from home and collaborate with a team.
- Experience using a wholistic approach in evaluating energy efficiency and decarbonization strategies.
- Most have a minimum of 3+ years of working experience in building energy modeling, preferably in British Columbia.
- 3-5 years experience in a similar role, preferably in British Columbia
- Proficiency in IESVE, Trane Trace3D, PHPP (preferably), other relevant software can be considered
- Demonstrable familiarity, or ability to quickly learn, rebate programs, codes, guidelines and concepts applicable in British Columbia, including:
- CMHC MLI Select
- BC Housing Design Guidelines and Construction Standards including TB no3.-2023 (Extreme Heat and Smoke Mitigation and Reduction of Greenhouse Gas Emissions for renovating)
- City of Vancouver Energy Modeling Guidelines
- EGBC Whole Building Energy Modeling Guideline
- CleanBC Roadmap
- Future climate data
- Passive House EnerPHit concepts
- Experience modeling or retrofitting existing multi-family buildings with heat pumps, heat recovery ventilation, and external shading is highly desirable.
- CPHD/CPHC and/or IBPSA or Passive House Canada involvement is highly desirable.
- Highly proficient with Excel.
- Experience with AutoCad beneficial.
- CMVP designation beneficial.
- Strong analytical skills and a systematic thinker.
- Excellent attention to details.
Who You Are:
- You have a passion for making positive change and a strong desire to address climate, energy, and housing crisis.
- You want to work with other passionate, driven, people that have years of experience taking a leadership role in transformational change.
- You are based in British Columbia, Canada.
- You have strong analytical skills, are organized, and know how to acquire and sift through data in a way that simplifies an otherwise complex picture.
- You are comfortable both working independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- You work well under pressure and know how to balance timeline expectations with quality results.
- You are always looking to learn and grow and take on new challenges and opportunities.
- You want to work with your colleagues to change the world, and you know that it isn’t easy.
- You work hard, but also prioritize work-life balance. You make sure your work is top quality and your deadlines are met, while still making time to pursue your personal passions.
- You are flexible, able and willing to take on a wide range of projects.
Work Availability: Work from your home office (permanently). This is a full-time position. Periodic in-person meetings required (usually in Vancouver).
Why Join FRESCo?
- Be part of and learn from an industry leader in energy efficiency and decarbonization.
- Work on exciting projects that are reducing environmental impact and transitioning to a sustainable future.
- Ability to work from home.
- Competitive salary.
- Flexible work hours for a good work-life balance.
- Be part of a collaborative, supportive, diverse, and dynamic team.
Apply: If you have the required experience AND are based in British Columbia, Canada, please apply www.frescoltd.ca/about/careers/ by July 22, 2023. We recommend applying early as interviews may commence prior to posting deadline. We thank all applicants, however only those selected for consideration will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity employer who celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
**Please read the job qualifications carefully and apply only if you meet the minimum qualifications listed**