Senior BAS Design Engineer
Airon (a BGIS company) is an advance heating, ventilation & air conditioning (HVAC) and building automation systems (BAS) service and installation company for facilities large and small. Our unique portfolio of projects qualifies us to service a wide range of clients in various market sectors such as institutional, healthcare, commercial and industrial. We enable our clients to reduce energy and operating costs while improving occupant comfort.
Through our shared values, we focus on building a sustainable future, diversity and belonging, and providing continuous learning and development.
A career at Airon (a BGIS company) offers competitive total compensation that includes:
- Comprehensive Health & Dental Plan
- RRSP Plan
- Paid Vacation Days
- Career Growth and Development
The Senior BAS Designer is responsible for the provision of BAS Engineering to support a wide array of projects including commercial, condominiums, multi-residential, industrial, K-12 and higher education, retail, long term care/retirement facilities and municipalities. The Senior BAS Designer will work on a wide variety of assigned tasks to meet the needs of our clients. They perform mentoring and training to appropriate designers and technicians, in the areas of design technology while performing daily tasks as assigned.
Senior BAS Design Engineer Tasks & Responsibilities
- Meet project deliverables at the direction of the Project Manager & BAS and Technical Services Manager.
- Translate mechanical drawings and specifications into technical deliverables, such as:
- Schedules for mechanical equipment and end-devices
- Points list and system schematics
- Sequences of operations
- Electrical panel layouts and wiring diagrams
- Operations and maintenance manuals
- Select controllers, sensors and devices that meet project specifications and design intent, while striking a balance between hardware and installation costs.
- Develop and maintain submittal and as-built documentation.
- Completion of onsite Quality Assurance during various project stages to minimize deficiencies and client issues.
- Work closely with BAS Team Members in the review, determination and completion of project sequences of operation, programming and graphics for inclusion in the ongoing BAS Templating Library.
- Assist with project estimating where required.
- Contribute to development of tools and template libraries.
- Ability to seek out, attend training seminars, analyze, and report to management new and ongoing technological developments/advancements in products and services in our industry
- As assigned: pursue new technologies, products, or design processes with proven ability to initiate self-learning process and collaborate with management and appropriate BAS team members on a training and implementation process.
- Through collaboration with management and the BAS team: proven ability to take the lead in the development, implementation and continuous improvement of technological standards to which all technicians will follow (design libraries, new standard practices, new system architectures, ongoing refinement of BAS Templating procedure and development of BAS Templates, new product applications and specifications etc.)
- Ability to provide technical support and training to appropriate BAS team members
- Ability to collaborate with management and team members to provide training to technicians on new product developments and standard AIRON practices on an as need basis through a peer review process and training sessions – identify competency and adoption issues to management.
- Ensure hazard recognition and the safe work practices outlined in our health and safety policy.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment with a primary focus on system design, product application knowledge, and new technology and be willing to participate in other areas of project delivery based on the needs of the company and at the request of the BAS and Technical Services Manager or Project Manager(s).
- Ability to provide technical assistance to the BAS team in the analysis and interpretation of job documents and best practice during the design documentation phase and throughout the project.
- Ability to recommend product selections and system architectures for equipment applications and provide assistance in writing specifications and technical proposals as required
- Ability to clearly define job and engineering requirements prior to design
- Proven experience in hardware design and product application for HVAC systems.
- Ability to manage a personal backlog of projects with minimal QA revisions and interact with project team members to deliver high quality engineering to drive successful project outcomes within budget.
- Proven ability to ensure the documented commissioning procedures as they pertain to the BAS Design team are followed.
- Proven ability to implement and design energy efficient BAS Applications with minimal QA revisions. The ability to look at a building or project holistically and identifying the opportunities to optimize the overall operation of the facility from both an energy efficiency and occupant user perspective.
- Proven understanding and ability to use Project Tracker and Service Tracker in the day to day reporting of job progress.
- Proven ability to ensure that time sheets accurately reflect the hours spent working on a project and meet existing policies and procedures.
- Proven ability under the guidance of the BAS and/or Project Manager, to participate in any training initiatives provided.
- Proven ability to be willing to obtain the necessary upgrade training to stay current with changing technologies and be able to apply learning to ongoing projects.
- Proven ability to be willing to learn from the diversity of knowledge that each individual on BAS team possess’ regardless of their rank or role.
- Proven ability to provide mentorship and training to other BAS team members.
- Proven ability to fully design highly accurate BAS drawing packages from specification and proposal documents with minimum QA revisions in an acceptable time frame that meets project schedule requirements
- Proven ability to perform document management duties (RFI’s, CCN’s, CN’s, SI’s, commissioning reports, As Builts, etc.) as per company procedures.
- Proven ability to provide project estimates, (CCN’s, bid packages, BAS Service Contracts etc.) as required.
7+ years’ experience
- Technician, diploma Technologist diploma or Engineering degree in a related technological field to BAS.
- Proven ability to self-learn, practice and teach existing and new technology as it enters our marketplace.
- Extensive knowledge in utilizing Visio, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Adobe, and other standard computer software systems
- Extensive knowledge of HVAC systems (has attended industry training courses and /or has extensive field experience)
- Extensive knowledge of BAS system installation and design (has attended industry training courses and /or has extensive field experience)
- Extensive Knowledge of multiple system integration strategies and applications (has attended industry training courses and /or has extensive field experience)
- Extensive knowledge of network wiring standards and protocols (has attended industry training courses and /or has extensive field experience)
- Extensive knowledge of multiple manufacturers BAS controllers and devices (has attended industry training courses and /or has extensive field experience)
- Strong communication skills.
- The ability to communicate effectively with employees, clients and contractors.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work effectively in a team-based environment.
- Ability to work in a process driven environment.
Top Salary Qualifications
- Proven ability with mentoring to design accurate BAS drawing packages from specification and proposal documents requiring some QA revisions in an acceptable time frame that meets project schedule requirements
- Proven ability to effectively mentor employees
- P.Eng Designation.in a related technological field to BAS.
- Extensive knowledge across the entire BAS System design Architecture (Has attended industry training courses and /or has extensive field experience)
- Extensive knowledge of design, engineering and selection criteria for BAS controllers, devices and peripherals (Has attended industry training courses and /or has extensive field experience)
Airon (a BGIS company) is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome you to apply for a position with us! If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please inform your recruiter. Upon request for accommodation, we will consult with the applicant in question and provide, or arrange for the provision of, a suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs due to disability.