Certification Reviewer II, Energy/HVAC
CAGBC is seeking a Professional Engineer or related subject matter expert with experience in large scale retrofits and/or low-carbon building design. As a detail-oriented problem-solver, your keen interest in sustainability and experience with building certifications (such as LEED, Zero Carbon Building Standards, IREE) will contribute to the strength of a team of green building certification assessors that is dynamic, innovative, and committed to the green building programs and initiatives of CAGBC.
Reporting to the Director, Certification Services, the Certification Reviewer II, Energy HVAC is a member of a technical team that conducts reviews for the LEED Rating Systems, Zero Carbon Building Standards and IREE certification, ensuring quality, consistency, and timeliness. This individual draws on cross-cutting knowledge and direct experience with the programs to serve as a qualified assessor, technical resource, and problem-solver.
For questions at any time or to submit your résumé, email CAGBC Recruitment. CAGBC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part the selection process.
- Perform in-depth technical review of project documentation related to energy/HVAC, including calculations and construction drawings, to determine compliance with certification program requirements and referenced standards.
- Perform quality control (QC) review of work completed by CAGBC reviewers and third parties.
- Provide technical subject matter expertise related to field of expertise, for example, building energy performance and modelling, HVAC&R systems and technologies, commissioning, and indoor air quality.
- Participate in the development of the rating systems, technical support tools, and project-specific compliance options.
- Contribute to the continued development and increased technical knowledge of team members through collaboration.
- Strive for continuous improvement within the review team, including suggesting improvements to processes and tools to improve internal efficiency, program consistency, and client experience.
- Offer technical support as requested for other initiatives of the CAGBC, such as funded research.
- Respond to client inquiries in a professional and timely manner, with thoughtful and accurate technical guidance.
- Educate the marketplace by effectively communicating technical advice through market engagement channels.
- Liaise with coworkers, volunteers, stakeholders, and others.
- Perform related responsibilities and duties as assigned by your supervisor.
NOTE: This job description highlights the general nature and level of the assignments required by this position. This is not a completely exhaustive list of responsibilities; additional duties will be assigned.
- Undergraduate degree (Master’s degree preferred) in a field of study related to:
- oEngineering (mechanical, electrical),
- o Building energy systems or similar.
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in area of specialty.
- Currently licensed professional in specialty area preferred, other professional certifications as relevant to area of expertise.
- Experience with a variety of high-performance building projects including low-carbon design, large scale retrofit. Experience with CAGBC certification programs preferred.
- Experience with Canadian environmental building codes and standards relevant to specialty (e.g., MNECB/NECB, ASHRAE 90.1, ASHRAE 62, ASHRAE 55, IPMVP Vol. III).
- Experience using energy modeling programs for commercial buildings (eQuest, IES etc.) and understanding of their input and output summary documentation.
- LEED Accredited Professional with specialty required (at time of hire or within 6 months).
- Experience in conducting certification or quality assurance reviews preferred.
- Completed or ability to obtain a Government of Canada Security Clearance at the Secret level is an asset.
- Demonstrated verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills (including technical writing), with the ability to clearly explain advanced technical issues in plain language and solve problems.
- Proven ability to read, understand and interpret building codes and standards, construction drawings and site plans, mechanical schedules, specifications, commissioning reports, etc.
- Demonstrated project management capability.
- Excellent project coordination and organizational skills, including the ability to multi-task and manage numerous tasks concurrently.
- Detail oriented with strong aptitude for quality assurance.
- Strong computer skills including Office 365 and database applications.
- Bilingual preferred (French/English, written and oral).
- Good judgement, relationship-building skills, and fully capable of working in a multi-disciplinary team-oriented, virtual environment as well as in an independent and self-directed manner.
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and accountability for delivering high quality work.
- Passion and commitment to sustainability and the CAGBC’s mission
Take your place in the green building revolution.