ERM is seeking an outstanding professional to join our Smithers, BC, Vancouver, BC, or Calgary, AB office as an Wildlife Biologist, Consultant to support our Mining and Energy teams.
As a member of the team, you will act as a biophysical specialist in western Canada, with capacity to conduct work in other jurisdictions across Canada. Work will include soil and terrain mapping, field site investigations, reclamation planning, erosion and sediment control, environmental assessment (EA) chapter drafting and mitigation planning for ERM projects in the mining and energy sectors, including the drafting of effect assessments, management plans, and collation of best management practices. The successful applicant will have direct exposure to environmental effects analyses and offset/compensation planning as it relates to implementation of federal and provincial policies. More broadly, the applicant must show an interest in applying knowledge and skills to help our clients solve complex challenges in these sectors. This role has tremendous potential for career growth with the successful candidate having opportunities to directly interact with clients and regulators and participate in business development. The successful candidate will be a member of a large multidisciplinary biodiversity and impact assessment team in Canada and will become a member of an extensive team of global environmental and social experts.
This posting is designed for a motivated, career-minded person who enjoys problem solving and working within a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Develop and lead soil and terrain field programs primarily in BC and Alberta.
- Lead the preparation of soils, terrestrial ecosystem, and wetland assessments for EAs/EISs and associated management plans in compliance with applicable federal, provincial/territorial requirements.
- Perform project delivery activities such as survey field work, data collection, literature review, report writing, and developing recommendations for clients.
- Assist with developing various environmental permitting applications.
- Support preparation of proposals, including development of scopes and cost estimates, and participate in business development with existing clients and identified leads.
- Work on multiple projects within client’s scope/budget/schedule expectations and ensure quality standards on project deliverables.
- Communicate with subcontractors, regulatory agents, landowners, and clients during field activities.
- Manage a team of junior and intermediate level ERM employees with similar interests and experience, providing top quality mentorship opportunities and growing the ERM team from within.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with other ERM employees worldwide.
- B.Sc. degree in Sciences, Environmental Engineering or related field. M.Sc. preferred.
- 2+ years of environmental consulting experience; prior experience in government, and/or mining or oil and gas sectors are considered assets.
- Environmental Assessment drafting experience.
- Expertise with Federal, Provincial and Territorial regulations and guidelines pertaining to survey methodologies and environmental assessments.
- Wetland and upland plant identification an asset.
- Experience conducting soil surveys and associated mapping.
- Experience conducting terrain assessments and associated mapping.
- Experience completing Terrestrial Ecosystem Mapping projects in BC according to provincial standards, guidelines and procedures an asset.
- Holds relevant professional designation, or immediate eligibility. P.Ag or CPESC preferred.
- Strong commitment to safety, including following established health and safety protocols.
- Ability to lead, follow directions, and take initiative when required.
- Excellent communication, organizational and time management skills.
- Proven people management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a demanding work environment.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- French language skills an asset.
- If you are looking for new challenges and desire to be part of a leading company and work with specialized professionals with international standards, this will be your opportunity.
Who We Are:
As the largest global pure play sustainability consultancy, we partner with the world’s leading organizations, creating innovative solutions to sustainability challenges and unlocking commercial opportunities that meet the needs of today while preserving opportunity for future generations.
At ERM we know that creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment is an essential part of making our company a great place to build a career. We also see our diversity as a strength that helps us create better solutions for our clients. Our diverse team of world-class experts supports clients across the breadth of their organizations to operationalize sustainability, underpinned by our deep technical expertise in addressing their environmental, health, safety, risk and social issues. We call this capability our “boots to boardroom” approach for its comprehensive service model that allows ERM to develop strategic and technical solutions that advance objectives on the ground or at the executive level.
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
ERM is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Thank you for your interest in ERM!
Shaping a sustainable future with the world’s leading organizations