Are you someone with developing leadership and technical capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders? Are you a trusted partner and a problem solver? If you enjoy entrepreneurship and innovation, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile environment.
Dillon’s Environmental Sciences technical group is looking for an Environmental Inspector to join our multidisciplinary team of professionals. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects while providing clients with a fully integrated and superior customer experience.
At Dillon, we operate as one team. The successful candidate can be based at any one of our following offices: Chatham or Windsor. We offer flexible work hours and hybrid work arrangement options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
Inspection and Monitoring
- On-site environmental monitoring during construction activities, which may include (but not be limited to) inspection and correction of erosion and sediment control measures, water quality monitoring, various types of wildlife sweeps, fish salvages, environmental response and testing activities.
- Prepare and mange Environmental Monitoring Records documenting: environmental site conditions; efficiency of environmental protection and mitigation measures; and, changes of site conditions through site photographs and regular monitoring reports.
- Review proposed changes and modifications to environmental protection and mitigation measures with the Contractor and Environmental Manager.
- Providing guidance to the project team pertaining to environmental commitments.
- Effective communication with various project stakeholders including contractors, regulatory agencies and clients during construction.
- Liaise with the Project’s Environmental Manager with respect to environmental compliance concerns.
- Consistent commitment to project quality and project deadlines.
- Collaboration with and assistance to project managers and team members including biologists, arborists, engineers, planners, and environmental scientists.
Learning and Development
- Contribute to Dillon’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees.
- Dedication and commitment to self-development and ongoing learning and professional development.
- A diploma or certificate in the environmental sciences field. An undergraduate degree in biology, ecology or a related environmental sciences field would be an asset.
- Experience with various field surveys throughout Southern Ontario to collect field data, including, but not limited to, ecological land classification, aquatic assessments, vegetation (including tree inventories), wildlife surveys (e.g., amphibians, birds) and soil or water quality sampling would be considered an asset.
- Possession of backpack electrofishing certification an asset.
- Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated work experience in environmental monitoring and mitigation during construction projects, specifically, work in and around watercourses, application and correction of erosion and sediment control measures, reporting spills, and the containment of effluent and dust during construction.
- Completion of Erosion and Sediment Control Monitoring Training (i.e., Certified Inspector Sediment and Erosion Control [CISEC], International Erosion Control Association [IECA], Vancouver Island University [VIU] or VOI Environmental Monitoring for Construction Projects, or equivalent).
- Ontario Ministry of Transportation - Registry, Appraisal and Qualification System (RAQS) certification or eligible to be certified (under Environmental Inspection During Construction category).
- Comprehensive understanding of how to interpret environmental requirements of contract drawings, permits and specifications.
- Understanding of the application of Best Management Practices and their applications to environmental compliance and effectiveness monitoring programs.
- Knowledge of relevant provincial and federal environmental legislation, regulations, policies, guidelines, permitting and approval requirements.
- Excellent oral and written communication, report writing, critical thinking, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in environmental consulting would be considered an asset.
- Valid driver’s license.
Why choose Dillon
Dillon is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
We live our core values:
- Reliability: words result in actions that build trust;
- Achievement: do the work to hit the target;
- Continuous development: always learning; always adapting; always growing;
- Creativity: discover new possibilities;
- Courage: do the things that matter, especially when it’s hard;
- Inclusiveness: enabling belonging to draw strength from our differences.
In addition, we offer:
- Employee share purchase plan
- Dillon is 100% employee owned and share ownership is open to all employees.
- A competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous retirement savings plan
- Student loan repayment assistance with matching employer contributions
- Flexible work hours and remote working options
- Dillon values its staff and the contributions that are made each day and understands that work arrangements can differ based on personal needs and business needs. We are taking a trust-based approach to oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible and remote work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
- Learning and Development opportunities
- As a knowledge-based business, the organic growth of our knowledge and skills occur through our work performance and roles. The creation and sharing of knowledge allows us to take local knowledge to scale, capture lessons learned through experience, and continuously improve service delivery. The development of self and others is an evident and measured core behaviour within our organization.
- We use a composite approach to development including coaching to build the how, mentoring to share lessons, advising to round out perspectives, and co-creation of knowledge through internal, and learning opportunities.
- Focus on Innovation
- The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance. In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities.
- Employee and Family Assistance program
- A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees.
- Goodlife Fitness Corporate Membership
- Our employees can take advantage of reduced annual membership fees
Dillon is a proudly Canadian, employee-owned, professional consulting firm specializing in planning, engineering, environmental science and management. We partner with clients to provide committed, collaborative, and inventive solutions to complex, multi-faceted projects. With over 20 offices and more than 1000 employees across Canada, Dillon offers a wide range of services related to building and improving facilities and infrastructure, protecting the environment, and developing communities.
Now operating for over 75 years, we continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. Dillon has been listed as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 17 years and has the distinction of having achieved Platinum Club member status in this program.
Employment Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Dillon:
Dillon is committed to the principles of employment equity, inclusiveness, and diversity within our organization. We strive to achieve a workplace where opportunities are based on skills and abilities and that respects and values differences.
Inclusion is more than a word to us, it is the way we choose to run our business. Please connect with us if you require accommodation in the interview process. We would love to hear from you.