Finance and Administration Manager
We are looking for a Finance & Administration Manager to provide oversight and management of the organization's financial and administrative activities.
Finance & Administration Manager
Salary: $70,000 – $80,000 per annum
Position: Contract Full-time (Fully remote – open to candidates based in Ontario only)
Deadline to Apply: December 6, 2023
Anticipated Start Date: January 2024
About Efficiency Canada
Efficiency Canada is the national voice for an energy-efficient economy. We envision a future where Canada uses energy efficiency to its fullest potential. This means maximizing the benefits of energy efficiency to result in a sustainable environment, a productive economy, and a just and equitable society.
Efficiency Canada is housed at Carleton University’s Sustainable Energy Research Centre. We acknowledge that the location of our campus sits on the traditional, unceded territories of the Algonquin nation. In doing so, we acknowledge we have a responsibility to the Algonquin people and a responsibility to adhere to Algonquin cultural protocols.
We are committed to fostering a diverse and equitable workplace, which is why we have signed on to the 50-30 Challenge. We highly encourage applications from equity-deserving groups especially Indigenous Peoples, Black, and other People of Colour candidates. If you share our passion for creating a more inclusive planet, we invite you to apply regardless of fit with your previous experience or background.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Finance & Administration Manager will be a part of our team setting the stage for continued growth of Efficiency Canada. You will provide oversight and management of the organization's financial and administrative activities. You will be deeply involved with maintaining AR, AP, contract administration and procurement processes for the organization. You will support financial functions such as month-end closings, analysis and reporting, grant/funder budgeting and reporting, annual budget preparation and year-end procedures. You will also plan and coordinate administrative procedures and systems that streamline processes for the organization.
Project & Departmental Support
- Contributing to the development of the annual organizational budget and forecasts.
- Working cross-functionally as direct support to project leads and managers in the development and tracking of project and departmental budgets. Ensuring budgets are complete, accurate and adhered to.
- Updating and tracking budget vs. actuals and creating monthly forecasts; reviewing project progression; monitoring funding status and conducting variance analysis; highlighting areas of concern and recommending corrective action.
- Creating cash flow statements for contribution agreements and/or claim submissions to funders.
- Supporting the preparation of monthly financial statements and quarterly board reports.
- Supporting reporting to funders and preparing grant reports.
Accounts Payable & Receivable
- Reviewing all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval before payment. Ensuring swift processing and payment of invoices.
- Posting supplier invoices, cost receipts, and process supplier payments through e-SHOP.
- Creating revenue invoices; tracking and following up aged receivables; collecting payments and sending receipt notifications to relevant internal stakeholders.
- Collecting and coordinating expenses and receipts for the organization as required and completing expense reports.
- Managing the operations mailbox; ensuring appropriate coding, authorizations and supporting documentation are in place; reviewing and submitting all payables, credit card transactions and staff expenses.
- Resolving finance-related queries, both internal and external.
- Ensuring day-to-day financial activities are efficient and effective.
- Oversee contract administration activities.
- Applying administrative and financial controls.
- Inputting accounting data into the accounting system with speed and accuracy.
- Maintaining an orderly filing system for source documents.
- Providing clerical and administrative support to the team.
- Serving as the Governing Council's secretary preparing meeting packages, taking minutes, and sharing packages.
- Maintains and improves the security of Efficiency Canada’s IT infrastructure.
- Ensure the appropriate technology systems and controls are implemented.
Efficiency Canada is housed within Carleton University; however, our team works in a remote, online environment. Access to a reliable computer and internet connection is required. Device access accommodations can be made available.
- Flexible and remote work arrangement.
- Four weeks’ vacation.
- Additional days off around statutory long weekends from April to September, an annual winter holiday shutdown, and your birthday off.
- Training and development budget to support your professional goals.
- Volunteer time off to support causes that are most important to you.
- Post-secondary education in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting and/or related fields.
- A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years prior experience in a finance role.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Strong written and verbal skills to communicate with all levels of the organization and its executive team.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills to research and summarize information.
- Detail-oriented and works with a high degree of accuracy.
- Highly organized and flexible with the ability to manage multiple priorities, tasks, and relationships in a fast-paced, professional environment.
- Demonstrated technical skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Adobe Acrobat, and virtual meeting platforms (Zoom, Teams).
- Ability to work independently, with the comfort to ask for help, when needed.
- Intuitive, resourceful, and reliable.
- Self-starter, adaptable and a good team player.
- Passionate commitment to the mission and objectives of Efficiency Canada.
Nice to have:
- A professional accounting designation (CPA, CA/CMA/CGA).
- Experience using Concur, eSHOP, FAAM, and FAST.
- Experience in the not-for-profit or university sectors.
- Experience working in a start-up or growing organization.
- Experience supporting the procurement of goods and services.
- Bilingual in both English and French.
The deadline for online application is December 6, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. (ET). Applicants are encouraged to apply earlier and up until the deadline. We will review applications as they roll in. To apply for this opportunity, submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF to HR@efficiencycanada.org. PDF files should follow the file naming convention ‘Last Name, First Name’. Please outline your pronouns and availability in your cover letter.
Candidates will undergo a 3-step interview process, including an initial screening, a panel interview, and a final interview with the Executive Team.
We thank all applicants in advance for their application, but please be advised that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Please, no inquiries.
If you require accommodations during the application and interview process, please reach out to Kristy Mortham, Director of Operations at email@example.com.
Employment Equity Statement
Carleton University and Efficiency Canada strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit, and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
The national voice for an energy efficient economy