Who we are and what we do
Mappedin, headquartered in Waterloo, Ontario, is a global leader in indoor mapping and spatial data management. Our solutions power billions of square feet of indoor space and millions of people visiting malls, stadiums, offices, retail establishments, healthcare facilities, warehouses, colleges and universities to name a few. Mappedin's cutting-edge technology optimizes indoor spaces, enhances user experiences, and strengthens public safety through user-friendly digital mapping.
Guided by the ethos "One Map Everywhere," we envision indoor maps as commonplace as their outdoor counterparts. Mappedin is committed to creating accessible and user-friendly products, leveraging our extensive experience and Machine Learning for automated paper-to-digital floor plan conversion.
Who you are and what you’ll do
You are a designer who is highly autonomous and enjoys owning projects from inception to completion. You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills and strong visual design in the digital space.. You are proficient with Figma and bring in efficient UI, IxD and visual design skills and processes.
As a part of the engineering team and reporting to the VP of Engineer, you are responsible for the following:
- Designing and creating visually appealing, intuitive and functional user interfaces for our products.
- Collaborate with the development teams to understand user requirements and design effective user interfaces that meet their needs.
- Create prototypes, and high-fidelity visual designs using industry standard design tools such as Sketch, Figma,
- Design intuitive and user-friendly interfaces that are consistent with our brand guidelines and design standards.
- Conduct user research and usability testing to gather feedback on designs and iterate on designs based on feedback.
- Work closely with developers to ensure designs are implemented accurately and according to design specifications.
- Keep up-to-date with industry trends, best practices, and emerging technologies in UI design.
What are we looking for?
- 2+ years of experience as a Designer, UI Designer or similar role
- Proven experience as a Designer, preferably with a portfolio showcasing your work and demonstrating conceptual, design and process thinking skills
- Proficiency in design tools such as Sketch, Figma,
- Strong visual design skills, including color theory, typography, and layout.
- Experience with user research and usability testing.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience scoping, estimating and planning design activities for projects
- Experience working with and building design systems
Nice to have
- Experience working with 3D design and 3D modeling
- Experience with 3D tools such as Blender, SketchUp, Spline, Cinema 4D etc.
What are some challenges?
Mappedin moves fast and we sometimes change directions. We can’t always wait for all the information before we try something. If you want us to guarantee exactly what you’ll be working on three months from now, we can’t give you that. On the other hand, there is a lot of high value work to do, and it won’t be boring. There is a lot of discovery work involved as we frequently do things that are ahead of current technology.
One of our values is playing for the team so you may need to sometimes put aside personal objectives in order to help meet more urgent company objectives, but others will do the same for you.
Behind the scenes
There’s a lot of trust here at Mappedin. We are a REMOTE company, but this role may require you to come into the office from time to time. If you’re local, there will probably be a few days a week when you can expect other people to be in the office. We work flexible hours, have a flexible vacation policy and work to provide the hardware or office equipment you require to unleash your potential. We will do what it takes to get things done if we said we would do it. We stay curious, challenge opinions, take risks, and learn from mistakes. We’re competitive and we like to win together. We want you to join us.
Mappedin welcomes applications from people with disabilities. We provide reasonable accommodations for candidates upon request through the recruitment process. For additional information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (519) 594-0102 and ask to speak to a member of the Human Resources team.