Innovation Intern (Winter Term)
Let’s Make Power Plants Obsolete.
The current, centralized electricity system is not sustainable. Between the climate crisis, state-wide blackouts, aging infrastructure, and rising costs, the system needs a huge overhaul. The demand for electricity is high – and getting higher – and big power plants aren't meeting our needs. We say it's time to disrupt and decentralize.
At Peak Power, we're energy nerds that develop software for the real estate sector. Our tech turns commercial buildings and industrial facilities into virtual power plants in a new, decentralized electricity system. This means cleaner, more reliable, and more affordable electricity. We’re powering the clean energy revolution.
Peak Power develops and connects battery storage, grid-interactive buildings, and electric vehicle assets in a single software platform for partners to pursue net zero goals, cut operating expenses, and unlock new revenue opportunities.
Reporting to the Director, Innovation Partnerships, the Innovation Intern will work with a talented group of individuals across the Operations and Strategy & Corporate Development teams along with business stakeholders in a fast-paced and exciting environment. This role will have an impact through supporting a variety of projects across Innovation Partnerships, Innovation Execution, and Corporate Development.
This work matters. Even a small change to optimize electricity usage can significantly impact our customers, electrical grid, and environment. We're building something that will have a lasting, positive impact.
Our new Innovation Intern will:
Deliver. You have excellent time management, prioritization, and project management skills
- Support with innovation projects and partnerships at various stages from demonstration to commercialization
- Compile resources around potential partners and developing a pipeline for future innovation projects including Vehicle to Grid applications
- Support in building out a process to manage projects and business frameworks
Report. You will monitor and report on progress, methodically evaluate processes and systems to improve efficiency; and implement processes that provide transparency and tracking
- Contribute to the creation of commercialization plans and innovation project reporting
- Conduct research and support in developing processes and tools that will act as key resources for the partnerships and sales teams
- Input relevant variables for custom analysis when required to evaluate potential storage, renewable energy and EV projects
Collaborate. You have strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work cross functionally on a variety of projects
- Connect with strategy and corporate development on compiling innovation applications
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams on commercialization and partnerships strategies
Grow. You are a critical thinker who can seize opportunities to create value for Peak Power’s long-term vision for optimizing power utilization and energy storage. You will proactively identify opportunities to improve operational performance, efficiency, and scalability and contribute to Peak Power’s electric asset portfolio growth.
What you will bring to Peak Power:
The experience and education. You have proven experience delivering success in a fast-paced, multi-tasking role where you are comfortable working autonomously.
- Currently enrolled in a post-secondary program
- Experience in data analytics and project management, preferred
- Experience in the energy sector, preferred
The drive and curiosity. You have a roll-up-your-sleeves attitude and are motivated to solve problems and support the organization’s success. You are passionate about contributing to innovative solutions to climate change.
The flexibility. You are flexible to adapt your activities as needed to support evolving team priorities in a rapidly changing business environment. You are comfortable with ambiguity and are willing to figure things out when there is no clear, defined path or process outlined. You are proactive in identifying problems & finding solutions.
So why Peak Power?
We’re focused on solving problems that impact energy markets both locally and around the world. We are a growth-stage clean technology company that has partnered with major names in real estate, electricity, and smart city spaces. To work with us is not only to work with an exciting company, but to also be on the cutting edge of the global transition to distributed, clean, and carbon-free energy.
How we invest in our team:
Peak Power is composed of passionate, collaborative, and innovative individuals
- Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI). We believe in driving a better energy future through focused efforts towards understanding and improving Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- We’re Listening. We take internal engagement surveys seriously and make actionable changes based on feedback.
- Keep Learning. Sharpen your skills through continuous development
- Get Social. Fun activities including team events and game nights to stay connected both virtually and in person including fun Slack channels that celebrate our love of food, fitness, fashion, furry friends, and everything in between!
- Long Weekends Start Early. Beat the traffic to the cottage or curl up with your favourite book, start early with half days off before long weekends.
Apply here or learn more about our company from our website or LinkedIn.
At Peak Power we value the unique experiences and perspectives that folx bring. This is how we build a collaborative and innovative environment. As such, we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Should you feel that you don’t meet 100% of the areas of this posting we encourage you to apply and tell us more about what values you feel you could add to the team. Accommodations are available by request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.