Senior Geospatial Data Scientist
Let’s make Power Plants Obsolete.
The current, centralized electricity system is not sustainable. Between the climate crisis, state-wide blackouts, aging infrastructure, and rising costs, the system needs a huge overhaul. The demand for electricity is high – and getting higher – and big power plants aren't meeting our needs. We say it's time to disrupt and decentralize.
At Peak Power, we're energy nerds that develop software for the real estate sector. Our tech turns commercial buildings and industrial facilities into hubs in a new, decentralized electricity system. This means cleaner, more reliable, and more affordable electricity. We’re powering the clean energy revolution.
Peak Power has developed a comprehensive software platform that alleviates strain on the electricity grid and drives value to owners of clean energy assets, buildings, and electric vehicles (EVs) through electricity markets.
PeakPower Inc is looking for a senior level Geospatial Data Scientist with analytic and scripting experience to support one of the most innovative, exciting, and growing renewable industry that is rooted in data rich projects in the power industry.
Are you a technical geographer who loves to work with data, find patterns in it, and then turn it into actionable intelligence? Are you a data scientist who loves to draw out insights from data, and work with analysts and engineers to turn those insights into automated workflows? If so, please reach out to us at Peak Power Inc to chat.
Location-based big data can be overwhelming, inaccessible, and noisy. We are the team using it to forecast energy usage patterns and the most expensive hours. And beginning with scalable data storage and ending in producing impactful analytics.
Our developers, analysts, and data scientists have a proven track record applying open-source innovative technology, data science, and actionable analytics to inform customers’ data driven decisions.
This work matters. Even a small change to optimize power utilization can significantly impact our customers, electrical grid, and environment. We're building something that will have a lasting, positive impact.
Our new Senior Data Scientist will:
- Exploiting multiple geospatial big data environments for insights that can be automated at scale with developer assistance.
- Working with data to enable software engineers to build upon automated tipping and cueing, alert generation tools, while developing trends to demonstrate states of readiness and forecasting future values.
- Scripting in python to automate geospatial workflow, connecting to existing APIs to feed algorithms and/or front-end UIs.
- Conceiving and constructing working prototypes and first of their kind proof of concepts to push the art of the possible against real world problem sets.
- Must have ability to communicate with project team, user community, and client leadership to understand requirements and demonstrate iterative progress.
- Working in a dynamic environment with ever evolving requirements.
What you bring to Peak Power:
The experience and education
- 4 - 10+ years of experience working with spatial data and map-based visualization tools along with data science fundamentals such as data engineering, coding in python, SQL, data structures and familiarity with Tensorflow, PyTorch frameworks preferred.
- Education in Geography, Data Science, Economics, Computer Science, etc.
- Familiarity with applying machine learning and statistical methods to complex problem sets that result in successful outcomes.
- Have successful experience on object recognition, area detection or related sense.
- Some experience querying, creating, and integrating data flows from TSDB to include building dashboards and presenting information via visualization framework.
- Applied GIS work and familiarity with ArcGIS, google map or related.
- Experience working with geolocation libraries in python such as GeoPandas, ArcPy, Shapely.
- A bonus to have solar PV and building density experience in any of the following disciplines: data science, computer vision, target development, geospatial, or statistical analysis.
The drive and curiosity. You have a roll-up-your-sleeves attitude and are motivated to solve problems and support team success. You are passionate about contributing to innovative solutions to climate change.
The flexibility. You flexible to adapt your activities as needed to support evolving team priorities in a rapidly changing business environment. You are comfortable with ambiguity and are willing to figure things out when there is no clear, defined path or process outlined. You have proactiveness in identifying problems & finding solutions.
So why Peak Power?
We’re focused on solving problems that impact energy markets both locally and around the world. We are a growth-stage clean technology company that has partnered with major names in real estate, electricity, and smart city spaces. To work with us is not only to work with an exciting company, but to also be on the cutting edge of the global transition to distributed, clean, and carbon-free energy.
How we invest in our team:
- Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI). We believe in driving a better energy future through focused efforts towards understanding and improving Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- You’re Covered. Comprehensive health insurance from Day 1.
- Work/Life Balance. Generous and flexible vacation and sick/wellness days to make time for personal appointments and taking a mental health break.
- We’re Listening. We take internal engagement surveys seriously and make actionable changes based on feedback.
- Keep Learning. Sharpen your skills through continuous development paid for by Peak Power.
- Get Social. Fun activities including team events and game nights to stay connected both virtually and in person including fun Slack channels that celebrate our love of food, fitness, fashion, furry friends, and everything in between!
- Long Weekends Start Early. Beat the traffic to the cottage or curl up with your favourite book, start early with half days off before long weekends.
- Health & Wellness. We care about your physical and mental wellbeing and offer monthly reimbursements to support your fitness and health journey.
Apply here or learn more about our company from our website or LinkedIn.
At Peak Power we value the unique experiences and perspectives that folx bring. This is how we build a collaborative and innovative environment. As such, we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Should you feel that you don’t meet 100% of the areas of this posting we encourage you to apply and tell us more about what values you feel you could add to the team. Accommodations are available by request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.