Energy Systems Engineering Intern
Energy Systems Engineering Intern (EIT)
Ottawa, ON - Guelph, ON
- Are you passionate about building Canada’s low-carbon future?
- Does working with an experienced team to create high-quality custom solutions using innovative technologies and alternate delivery methods excite you?
- Are you a resourceful, clever, and enthusiastic engineering graduate from an accredited university?
- Are you interested in working on unique and pioneering projects in the field of energy systems?
If you scored 4 for 4, JLR has a home for you within our Innovative Energy group! We’ve opened a role in our Ottawa and Guelph offices for a talented, entrepreneurial candidate to work alongside exceptional people in JLR’s energy group. You’ll be supported by a Platinum Club member of Canada’s Best Managed Companies program, a 100% employee-owned firm that has a long-established reputation for quality services in multiple sectors, while you take on existing clients, develop new relationships and deliver world-class, innovative solutions that support community building and growth in our cities. Our well-established energy systems team is passionate about integrating renewable energy into low-carbon buildings and communities.
JLR is a creative, tight-knit, and mentorship-focused community with unique opportunities for driven people with tenacity and spirit. Our Energy group is made up of diverse employee-owners with specialized expertise in a wide range of disciplines. Joining the JLR team means being part of a dynamic group of innovative engineering, architecture, planning professionals and support staff. You will have the opportunity to help establish new clients and partner with existing ones to develop insightful solutions and see projects through from inception to completion.
If you are innovative and collaborative, thrive when presented with new challenges, and are eager to take your career in new directions, then JLR is the right environment for you.
Choose your own adventure! Let’s talk about how your skills, experience, goals, and passions can find a home at JLR. Your role will include:
- Reviewing of energy consumption data, technical/product literature, architectural, electrical and mechanical drawings;
- Developing energy generation or consumption models using, IESVE, TRACE 3D Plus, eQUEST, EnergyPlus, TRNSYS, HelioScope and/or PVsyst.
- Working with a multi-discipline design team to meet energy requirements of the Ontario Building Code, National Energy Code and ASHRAE standards;
- Working with clients to guide, support, and develop project solutions that meet their needs, including green building certifications such as Zero Carbon Buildings; and
- Preparing Life Cycle Assessments for individual energy efficiency measures as well as whole building comparisons.
- Studies in building science, HVAC systems, heat transfer, thermodynamics and/or renewable energy systems;
- Mechanical, Electrical or Energy engineering degrees are preferred;
- Graduate studies are considered an asset.
Why Join Us?
We live, work, breathe, and thrive in the communities we help to build. We’re growing our presence in Southwestern Ontario, we’re proud of our reputation and longevity in the Ottawa and Kingston regions, and we love Northern Ontario and the glorious bounty of the natural world. You should also know that:
- We’re 100% employee-owned with share ownership opportunities at all levels.
- We offer opportunities to become an Associate level member and earn even greater rewards.
- Work-life balance is strongly encouraged, including flexibility with work hours and remote working.
- We offer stable, long-term employment with opportunities for advancement based on merit, skill, and initiative and an “open-door” policy where communication is strongly encouraged.
- We foster a friendly, welcoming, and team-oriented atmosphere that encourages innovation and collaboration – we have an established depth of technical and support resources that can efficiently and effectively deliver small and large multi-disciplinary projects.
- We provide a flexible career direction with opportunities to choose your own path and interesting and exciting assignments ranging in size and type.
- We provide competitive salaries, reviewed annually.
- Health & dental benefits and RRSP/DPSP programs are offered immediately.
- Our merit-and-profit bonus program is our key to recognizing performance.
- Extracurricular social events are provided so we can all have some fun along the way (annual “prom,” golf tournaments, sports teams, department lunches, summer BBQs, and much more).
Want to get more insight before you apply? Have an informal chat on LinkedIn with Adam Frey, an Energy Systems Engineering Designer.
Interested in our energy projects? Check out how we were selected to undertake a study to investigate the feasibility of deployment of photovoltaics (PV) for Federal Campuses; or how we designed the implementation of a SolarWall™ on a Canada Post building; and how we are currently designing the new City of Cornwall Fire Station Headquarters and Training Centre incorporating renewable energy sources.
Ready? Send us a cover letter and resume outlining your skills, qualifications, and the specific experiences that make you an ideal candidate for the position by emailing email@example.com.
JLR welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.