Hub Coordinator, Green Economy Calgary
Hub Coordinator, Green Economy Calgary
At Green Economy Canada we envision an economy where environmental sustainability, human well-being, and business success are synonymous.
Green Economy Canada is a national non-profit accelerating Canada’s transition to a vibrant and inclusive net-zero future. We do this in three ways:
- We lead a network of Green Economy Hubs that bring together, support and celebrate businesses in taking action on climate change and building sustainability into their operations.
- We amplify success stories of business sustainability efforts to demonstrate what’s possible and inspire others to follow suit.
- We foster collaboration between government, private sector and civil society, and inform green policies and investments for systems change.
Our network has engaged over 500 businesses to date, to collectively reduce over 200,000 tonnes of GHG emissions -- the equivalent of removing over 60,000 cars off the road each year. Join us in making business better, together!
We’re seeking a Hub Coordinator to support the launch and growth of our newest Green Economy Hub, Green Economy Calgary. As an ideal candidate you are highly organised and detail-oriented, and possess strong communications skills. You have a passion for community-led and business-focused climate action, enjoy a wide variety of work, and are keen to help build Calgary’s transition to a low-carbon economy.
As Hub Coordinator you will work collaboratively with Green Economy Calgary’s Hub Manager, as well as national Green Economy Canada staff, to support Hub operations, such as: recruiting and delivering sustainability support to Green Economy Calgary’s business members, building and maintaining Green Economy Calgary’s online presence and member recognition efforts, and executing high-quality capacity-building workshops.
Ideal Start Date: Immediate
Term: Full-time, 2.5 year contract with potential to become a permanent position
Annual Compensation: $50,000 salary
- Choice of health and dental benefits package or $2,000 health and wellness allowance
- Access to TELUS Health Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly home office allowance ($720/year)
- Minimum 3 weeks vacation time + 2 weeks shut down over December holidays and Summer Fridays (every other Friday off in July & August)
- Professional development support, flexible work culture, and awesome teammates!
Location: Remote work opportunity, but must be based in the Calgary Area (access to local office space provided)
Reports to: Hub Manager (Green Economy Calgary)
What Does The Hub Coordinator Do?
Member Recruitment (30%)
- Work with the Hub Manager to successfully recruit members, from researching prospects, to coordinating and marketing information sessions, to drafting membership quotes and agreements.
- Work with the Hub Manager, using content available through Green Economy Canada, to develop and deliver introductory climate action workshops and a climate readiness assessment to the broader business community to build awareness and interest in joining Green Economy Calgary.
Member Support and Recognition (60%)
- Work with the Hub Manager, using Green Economy Canada’s tools, templates, and established process, to deliver high quality training, resources, and 1:1 support to equip members to set and achieve sustainability targets.
- Work with the Hub Manager, and Green Economy Canada’s Marketing and Communications team, to:
- Design, market, and execute member-facing capacity-building sustainability workshops.
- Build and execute Green Economy Calgary’s marketing and communications strategy and member recognition activities, including: an annual report, annual awards and recognition event, and member case studies.
- Establish and maintain Green Economy Calgary’s newsletter, website, and social media presence (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook), ensuring content is engaging and current, and measuring the success of these efforts.
Hub Operations & Strategy (10%)
- Work with the Hub Manager to identify the need for new approaches or resources to support and recognize members, and proactively bring forward recommendations.
- Support the collection of feedback and metrics to assess member satisfaction and progression, as well as overall Green Economy Calgary growth and impact.
What We Hope You Will Bring
We recognize that potential candidates may not apply for a position if they don’t hit every single criteria included in the job description—particularly members of underrepresented groups. Even if your experience doesn’t necessarily check off all the boxes below, we still encourage you to apply, and promise that your application will receive a review from our team. We also know that a resume can only show so much at this stage, so we encourage you to share more about yourself. For example, if you've made career transitions, you’re self taught in a new role, or you have skills/experience you’d like to highlight, we want to hear more about what you could bring to this role, and to our organisation.
- Based in Calgary
- Relevant work experience (3+ years) or formal education in business, communications and marketing, or a related field. Previous experience in sustainability, energy or environmental management is considered a strong asset.
- Communications and marketing experience including experience in developing and deploying effective communications and marketing campaigns, as well as experience using common communications software such as Wordpress and MailChimp, and comfort learning new tools. Graphic design expertise is considered an asset.
- Experience with event management including designing and marketing events, and managing event logistics.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with an ability to listen well and work collaboratively with team members to support a caring, productive, and positive work dynamic. You are comfortable working both independently and remotely, with an ability to form strong collaborative relationships with team members and external partners.
- Conscientious and detail-oriented with an ability to effectively plan and manage multiple priorities, be proactive, and build trust that work is completed with quality and care.
- Strong project management and organisational skills, with demonstrated success in managing significant projects from conceptualisation through to implementation.
- Critical and strategic thinking skills to identify opportunities to improve systems and processes and inform key decision-making. An ability to share perspectives candidly and diplomatically to generate better solutions, and can act decisively to focus resources on the highest value activities.
- A learning and resourceful mindset to help find solutions to challenges while growing your knowledge and skills and Green Economy Canada’s capabilities. Comfort with navigating ambiguity.
- Receptivity to feedback, learning from experiences and integrating those learnings in a thoughtful way to achieve stronger outcomes in the future.
- Excitement for working in a small but innovative non-profit with ambitious sustainability goals. You enjoy having diverse but focused work, a flexible and evolving working environment, and opportunities to learn and grow alongside wonderful people.
How To Apply
Please tell us a bit about your interest in this role and send a resume to the attention of Melissa Gerrard, National Expansion Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis starting the week of March 27, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled.
We sincerely thank all applicants, however, we will only be able to personally contact those selected for an interview. Please advise if you have any accommodation needs - we are committed to ensuring you can participate fully in the recruitment process.
Green Economy Canada is an equal opportunity employer where a diverse mix of talented people do their best work because of, not in spite of, our differences. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all staff, volunteers, members, subcontractors, and vendors in all our activities and operations, regardless of race, colour, religion (creed), gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), dis/ability, marital status, or sexual orientation.
What’s it Like Working at Green Economy Canada?
At Green Economy Canada, we seek to blend the nimbleness and autonomy of a small team with the influence and opportunities afforded to a national network.
- We are bold, ambitious and optimistic. Our vision is for an economy that makes environmental sustainability, human well-being, and business success synonymous.
- We care about what we each accomplish, not where we work from or how many hours we put in.
- We want working together to feel effortless and the ways we work together to be intuitive.
- We embrace innovation: we’re willing to take risks, we know we’ll make mistakes along the way, and we push ourselves to apply what we learn each time. At Green Economy Canada, it’s okay to fail.
- We have fun, enjoy working together, and laugh often.
- We’re not satisfied with the status quo: we don’t think “because that’s how it’s always been done” justifies a course of action. We challenge each other, think critically, and strive for objective decision-making.
Now is the time to transform business-as-usual. From the climate crisis to vast social inequalities, we know the status quo isn’t working. Together, we can change this.
It takes all of us — every business and organisation across Canada — to seize this moment. It’s a matter of rethinking what we do and how we do it, and working together to make it a reality.
Green Economy Canada sees what’s possible.
Our network is a place for leaders who are ready to challenge the status quo and make the transition to a vibrant and inclusive net-zero future.
It’s a journey we will take with you.
It starts with listening and understanding what can be done differently. It means providing the guidance, tools, and connections to help you succeed. It accelerates when businesses, non-profits and governments join forces. And it ends with seeing how we can do more together than alone.
So, join us, and let’s make business better, together.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Green Economy Canada
Let’s make business better, together.