Program Specialist, Emissions Neutral Buildings
Program Specialist, Emissions Neutral Buildings
The Program Specialist-Emissions Neutral Buildings plays a key role on Alberta Ecotrust Foundation’s Programs Team in launching the tactical operations of the Building Information Exchange (BIX).
BIX is a new development that will serve as a Centre of Excellence for industry that strengthens the public, private, and civic capacities for zero-emissions buildings in Calgary, Edmonton and throughout Alberta. Over the next 12 months, the BIX will be developed in partnership and collaboration with industry, government, and other key stakeholders. Over the long-term, it is our vision that BIX will be a catalytic, amplifying member of the Alberta based community of practice that exchanges knowledge of how to decarbonize the building sector.
We are looking for someone who is a passionate advocate for climate solutions, green buildings, and industry. All team members at Alberta Ecotrust care deeply about securing resources for environmental and climate solutions, love to work across sectoral boundaries, and are committed to thinking outside the box in finding collective solutions to complex and urgent challenges.
Your goal in this position is to develop, monitor, continuously improve and report on the BIX. Your role is to help build capacity in the building industry to advance the construction and retrofits of emissions neutral buildings.
Applying your subject matter knowledge in emissions neutral buildings and deep energy retrofits, combined with your skills in capacity building, facilitation, collaboration, research, financial analysis and program administration and reporting, your work will help build capacity and relationships across the sector.
This position is responsible for the following:
- Facilitates capacity building initiatives, through event planning, network facilitation, and tool development.
- Prepare (create and co-create) a variety of knowledge products including policy recommendations, white papers and other materials.
- Provide technical guidance and analysis, including review of energy audits, technical materials, financial analysis and business case evaluation, of various emissions neutral building and deep energy retrofit capacity building content.
- Develop collaborations, partnerships and work cross-functionally with external agencies, industry, academia and community to develop and align planning, programs, products, services, research, policy development, for the Building Information Exchange.
- Collaborate with the communications team to develop a training and educational consortium with different providers across Alberta to help support, expand, and amplify their offerings related to emissions neutral buildings and deep energy retrofits.
- Develop and implement programming to support access to specified training in partnership with existing training and educational institutions.
- Represent BIX(and in turn Alberta Ecotrust) at public events and in programs and initiatives with partners and collaborators.
- Apply a multi-solving approach to optimize the co-benefits of emissions neutral buildings and deep energy retrofits including the application of a lens that does not create or exacerbate existing social and economic inequalities.
- Support administration and reporting related to external grant, and other Alberta Ecotrust reporting requirements.
- Support the Manager in providing a secretariat function for the Advisory committees of the BIX.
- Research and continual environmental scanning to inform future programming.
- Collaborate with the communications team to synthesize, organize, and elevate various inputs and initiatives including (not limited to): training, events, podcasts, webinars, video content, case studies, studies, general sector information.
- In collaboration with the Alberta Ecotrust evaluation framework team work to develop a BIX specific evaluation framework, consistent with the national Results Based Performance Framework, Theory of Change, and key metrics methodologies.
- Collaborate with the Alberta Ecotrust Investment and Grant teams by working to identify and implement areas for cooperation in the field of emissions neutral buildings and deep energy retrofits to support potential direct investments and granting programs.
- Maintain and grow the BIX network, including academic institutions, training organizations, associations, private business in the building sector, public entities, private entities, NGOs, and government partners in Alberta elsewhere when appropriate.
- Assist in the development of funding proposals, campaigns, and other materials that support and fund the exchange.
- In collaboration with the communications team establish and ensure effective CRM usage including use of communication and query tools for building marketing lists and crafting messaging for emails and text messaging platforms.
- Collaborating with the team to promote Alberta Ecotrust's culture of philanthropy internally and externally.
- Manage procurement and external consulting contracts where required.
- Maintain accurate and complete files to ensure reporting is accurate and audit ready.
- Contribute ideas and expertise to strategic discussions.
As the Centre matures and our team grows, the Specialist position will have the opportunity to evolve with the services required to initiate and support the Building Information Exchange.
We are looking to fill up to two positions preferentially Calgary for at least one but for the right candidate could be Edmonton based. You will directly report to the Manager, Emissions Neutral Buildings and you will frequently collaborate with the Communications Team as well as the rest of the Alberta Ecotrust team.
A successful candidate will possess the following skills and expertise:
- Post-secondary education in environmental studies, energy management, engineering, business, finance, economics, public policy or a similar discipline. An additional MBA, Communications, or Education degree or training would be an asset.
- 5 or more years of experience that include time managing complex, multi-year programs or projects, including planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Experience and expertise with emissions neutral buildings and deep energy retrofits. This includes past experience with construction management, energy auditing, energy management, monitoring & verification of energy cost savings and greenhouse gas emissions, retrofit planning, renovation and/or building design.
- Direct experience or general exposure to network development, event planning, capacity building, material or curriculum development, webinar hosting, technical material development.
- Financial acumen and understanding of the relevant metrics utilized in business case development in the field of energy, energy efficiency, green buildings, development, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Experience/good aptitude for various software and other technology.
- Excellent skills for data reduction, analysis and presentation.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent administrative skills including organizing, meeting logistics, committee communications.
- Familiarity with social innovation approaches and how to apply them for the purposes of improving outcomes.
Workplace Culture & Position Location
Alberta Ecotrust provides a flexible schedule and an inclusive, positive, and collaborative team culture. A hybrid model is employed at Alberta Ecotrust with flexible office hours combined with remote working. Travel between Calgary and Edmonton will be required as part of this position.
In Calgary, we have a casual workplace in a heritage building with lots of meeting space, a full kitchen, great access to transit, local restaurants and the downtown core. In Edmonton, we have a co-working space at Work Nicer for individual workspaces, meetings, and collaborative spaces when needed. Our staff are extremely motivated to make a difference, and you’ll be part of an innovative team that gets to do interesting, meaningful work aligned with their shared values and desire to improve the world.
This is up to two full-time positions, 37.5-hour work week with every third Friday as a earned day off, with a competitive salary range of $70,000 - $85,000 per year, plus paid health benefits and three weeks vacation, Christmas break, and day off for your birthday.
How to Apply
1. Submit your application to Alberta Ecotrust via our online recruitment system by midnight on March 27, 2023 with the subject line “Program Specialist - Buildings”
2. Combine your cover letter and resume as one PDF document, named as follows: LastName_FirstName_Program Specialist_Buildings
3. Your cover letter and resume combined must not exceed four pages
Alberta Ecotrust is an equal opportunity employer that strives to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in, and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, people with disabilities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know by emailing email@example.com
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We thank everyone who applies.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Alberta Ecotrust Foundation
We believe that a healthy environment is the foundation of a healthy community.