Position: Program Manager, Just Transition Coalition
Reports to: Senior Manager, Economic Transformation
Employment Type: Temporary, Full-time Employment
Salary: $89,283, plus benefits (see other conditions of employment, below)
Application Deadline: April 13, 2023 11:59M (PST)
Anticipated Start Date: May 2023 (contract ends December 2025, extension possible subject to funding)The Vancouver Economic Commission’s (“VEC”) respectfully acknowledges that it is located on the unceded ancestral territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səl̓ilwətaɁɬ / sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
About the Vancouver Economic Commission
The VEC’s mandate is to support the building of a prosperous, inclusive, zero-carbon and resilient economy in Vancouver.
VEC fulfils this mandate by working on an economic transition towards a just and economically resilient future for Vancouver, in which there is prosperity for all. VEC’s work is anchored primarily on collating and undertaking research and intelligence; providing expert insights to relevant policymakers; engaging stakeholders and rights holders in the business, academic and investor communities; and leading, partnering and overseeing select strategic initiatives, programs and events in the local economy orientated to VEC’s four-pledges for issues-based economic development.
At the VEC, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodation will be provided upon request during the selection process.
Main Purpose and Function
As the Program Manager for the Just Transition Coalition (“the PM”), is responsible for the implementation of the Just Transition Coalition. The PM will lead the ‘Secretariat’ of the Just Transition Coalition in its first year of operations by serving as a facilitation resource for the Co-Chairs and leading the Coalition’s logistics and operations for its events, initiatives, programs, and engagements as approved by the Senior Manager, Economic Transformation (Decarbonization and Just Transition) and the CEO of VEC. The PM will also be working in collaboration with the Co-Chairs and the Steering committee to plan for and execute the eventual separation of the Coalition from the Vancouver Economic Commission.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Within the VEC, the Program Manager will report directly to the Senior Manager, Economic Transformation (Decarbonization and the Just Transition) who will provide final approval for the Just Transition Coalition’s work, and support, either direct or delegated, on relevant issues.
Direct Reports include:
- None at this time
- The Program Manager may, from time to time, engage consultants and contractors in the execution of duties related to acting as the Secretariat of the Just Transition Coalition
Performance goals, work plans and work allocation will be reviewed on a regular basis with the Senior Manager, Economic Transformation, as approved by the CEO. These goals and workplans will be adapted from time to time as business and organizational needs evolve.
In addition to reporting to the Senior Manager on any given work item, the Program Manager may also report to or provide subject matter expertise to other leads on the project/initiative to which they are providing services. In these instances, the Program Manager, takes direction concerning initiative decisions from the project/initiative lead and may seek consultation and support from the Senior Manager, and ultimately the CEO.
Duties and Responsibilities
Core responsibilities include:
- Just Transition Coalition Management and Planning: actively managing all relevant aspects of the Coalition, including communications, engagement, budgets, and monitoring and evaluation of impacts. Longer-term planning, as well, for future iterations of the Council, will also be a core responsibility in collaboration with VEC and Coalition Co-Chairs.
- Facilitation of Steering Committee: facilitate and organize members for quarterly meetings of the Coalition, facilitate the creation of the Coalition annual work plans,
- Subcommittee Supports: Engaging with Subcommittee Co-Chairs and others to launch and then supporting the administration of subcommittee meetings and activities
- Administrative duties for the Just Transition Coalition: agenda creation for the Steering Committee, notetaking, meeting minutes, creation of orientation packages for members,
- Project Management: With the Senior Manager, Economic Transformation, the Coalition Co-Chairs, with input from the VEC CEO, initiate and develop projects relevant to the success of the Coalition. This will include budgeting, securing and disbursing project funding, scheduling and quality control support, managing stakeholder relations, escalating issues and opportunities as appropriate and ensuring proper project close-out and post-project evaluation.
- Deliverables: Work with marketing and communications staff as it relates to publishing and promoting the final outcomes of the project or initiative.
- Reporting and Risk Management: Work with the Senior Manager, Economic Transformation, to develop reporting materials to funders, stakeholders, and the public at large.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and experience
- Post-secondary education, preferably business administration, economics, labour studies, urban studies, sustainability, environment, public policy or equivalent
- Circa 10 years’ experience and demonstrated skills in program management, advisory and/or advocacy for the green, just economy, and/or local business community and/or economic development and/or economy related policy
- Circa 5 years’ experience leading people, initiatives, projects and/or teams
- Experience building relationships with servicing and reporting to c-level suite stakeholders, peers, senior government officials and the local industry community.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The PM should have the following knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Climate and the Economy: Demonstrate a thorough understanding of how Climate Change impacts the economy and the implications for future economic growth.
- Labour Relations and Economics: Demonstrate understanding of the dynamic relationships and complexities of the labour market, including working within or with organized labour
- Leadership and Facilitation: Demonstrated leadership skills, with the ability to bring together and sustain teams made up of diverse members, to lead, inspire and motivate, to bring out the best in others, and to manage and coach others, including direct reports, in adapting to change. Be able to convene and motivate others to ask interesting questions and generate creative solutions to complex problems, challenges and opportunities.
- Resource and project management: Ability to support the Coalition projects efficiently and effectively. Good experience in contract management, stakeholder negotiations and partner management.
- Presentation skills: comfortable acting as sector expert; representing the VEC in meetings, workshops, events, and trade missions
- Technical skills: Strong computer competency in office productivity tools that can be leveraged to support business analytics and decision-making, including MS Office 365, webinar and virtual meeting platforms, and project management platforms.
- Organization and efficiency: Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with the ability to foresee economic and business challenges, troubleshoot and problem solve.
- Communication skills: Good attention to detail alongside organizational, interpersonal and verbal/written skills
- Curiosity/quick learner: An aptitude for and interest in learning about a wide variety of topics.
- Professionalism: Ability to appropriately represent VEC to all levels of government, academia, and industry contacts as needed. Ability to respect relevant protocols and confidentiality, to inspire trust and credibility, and to generally conduct oneself with tact and diplomacy.
- Optimism and Attitude: Commitment to optimism for the future and a demonstrated willingness to engage in relationships/activities with respect and a positive outlook.
Interested applicants should supply their resume and cover letter in pdf format by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply is 11:59pm PST April 13, 2023. While we thank all applicants for taking the time to apply, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
The anticipated start date is in May 2023, or sooner depending on negotiations with the successful candidate.
The Vancouver Economic Commission is committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Vancouver Economic Commission
Working to build a prosperous, inclusive and resilient economy for Vancouver, its businesses, and its citizens.