Building Sciences Consultant
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering consulting firms and has one of Canada’s largest building sciences teams. Our GTA Building Sciences team consists of 95 team members with our Toronto (mid-town) and Markham offices. We have unique expertise in engineering, material science, building envelopes/enclosures, constructability, project management, cost estimating and asset management. Building Sciences is primarily focused on serving the needs of building owners and managers. Our aim is to understand, design and enhance the built environment by building solutions at every opportunity. We are the first choice for clients because we work with them as a strategic partner, providing value-based solutions backed by our extensive knowledge and experience.
We assist our clients in addressing specific deterioration or performance problems by completing a detailed evaluation to understand current conditions. We provide guidance on the range of management strategies available to address deterioration, from lower cost repairs to higher performance renewal, including the advantages and risks, opinions of cost and recommended timing for each strategy.
When our clients are ready to proceed with repairs, we prepare the designs and specifications, then tender the project to qualified contractors. Our depth of knowledge allows us to provide innovative repair solutions to meet our client's needs and promote the success of the project. We then manage the project to completion, providing hands-on quality assurance and contract administration to promote the desired outcome with respect to performance and cost control.?
We leverage the expertise gained by addressing problems with durability and inadequate performance on existing buildings to provide expert advice in our other service areas, such as capital planning, reserve fund studies, new construction design and quality assurance, façade engineering, performance modelling, mechanical/electrical/plumbing engineering, structural engineering and sustainability planning.
We are locally dedicated with international scale. Our strength is our ability to adapt to our client’s culture and local markets. We provide our clients with the same personalized services as a specialist firm while at the same time leveraging our worldwide expertise to undertake the most complex projects and assist our clients to realize their ambitions. We achieve this by remaining agile, with a common-sense approach, and by keeping our structure and business model simple and lean. Our focus on growth also allows us to better serve our clients by expanding our offering, expertise and geographical reach.
WSP?is currently seeking new graduate/early career engineers to join our GTA Building Sciences team; the position can be located in either our?Toronto or Thornhill office.?Reporting to the GTA Building Sciences Director, this position will be responsible for contributing to Building Sciences specialty consulting services.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Apply engineering knowledge to tasks on building sciences and building restoration projects
- Assist Professional Engineers and Certified Engineering Technologists with building/component evaluations, reporting, design and tender documents
- Conduct construction site reviews, monitoring quality of building repairs
- Liaise with contractors, sub-consultants and engineering disciplines
- Contribute to the contract administration process on projects
- Accept responsibility for project tasks, deliverables and outcomes
- Apply sustainable thinking and practices within project delivery
- Keep the Project Manager informed about project status and issues
Centres of Excellence:
- Provide feedback on your experiences that could improve WSP’s performance, processes and tools
- Help others with learning skills in your knowledge area
- Share information about clients, contractors and competition
- Promote a positive reputation for WSP
- Develop reputation with clients which leads to further work for WSP
- Share information about clients, contractors and competition
- Improve technology knowledge:
- learn standards required for each project
- develop expertise in defined areas
- know what you know and what you don’t know, don’t take on something you don’t know without first getting help
- Achieve expected competency development status for related technologies
- Other duties as assigned.
What You'll Bring To WSP ...
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Building Science, Architectural Science, Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, Diploma in Architectural / Engineering Technology or a construction-related discipline
- Previous summer/c-op work experience in building sciences, engineering, architecture or construction is an asset but not a requirement
- Exceptional time-management and organizational skills
- Attention to detail and strong work ethic
- Strong oral, written communication and presentation skills
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office and AutoCAD
- A team player, amongst energetic, successful people
- Strong at multi-tasking, organized and?adaptable to shifting priorities
- Personal commitment to promoting environmental sustainability
- Valid driver’s license. Access to a vehicle is required for the Thornhill office
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe and the growing list of our clients including vaccination status as part of their mandated health and safety requirements to work with them, you will be required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to WSP as a condition of employment. You may also be required to undergo additional immunization to maintain a fully vaccinated status against COVID-19 whenever local Public Health Authorities recommend additional immunization.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
Your application has been successfully submitted.