Energy & Carbon Analyst
Toronto (GTA), ON, Canada or Kitchener, ON
At WSP our Climate Change, Resilience and Sustainability team are providing decarbonization analysis services on existing building portfolios and partnering closely with other building energy analysts and modelers as well as our diverse teams of mechanical and electrical engineers within WSP.
We have an opportunity for an Energy and Carbon Analyst to join our team in Toronto (GTA), ON, Canada or Kitchener, ON with opportunities to relocate as your career grows and thrives here.
You’ll have a great opportunity to enhance and advance your career as part of a rapidly growing team of experts providing world-class projects for public and private sector clients. Our Climate Change, Resilience and Sustainability team are well positioned to be the leading climate change consulting practice in Canada, including net-zero buildings and decarbonization strategies.
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer,
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- You will be conducting field energy survey of facilities to collect detail information and mechanical/electrical inventory for energy audit ASHRAE Level I, II, and III projects.
- You will be developing energy conservation measures for different sites and evaluate the economics, engineering, or parametric feasibility of energy efficiency improvements.
- You will be processing utility data including weather normalization, regression analysis, and benchmarking
- You will be performing load, energy, and carbon emission analysis for different energy conservation and electrification measures
- You will be performing energy and GHG end-use analysis based on site survey information
- You will be preparing clear and concise reports and technical documents and present findings to clients
- You will be using a wide range of tools to analyze building decarbonization potential and to inform Net Zero scenario modelling across large real estate portfolios
- You will perform a full range of energy efficiency and carbon reduction planning exercises, working as part of a team to deliver on time and on budget by providing input on energy performance measures and capital upgrades improvements for the built environment
- You will provide technical analysis and support project delivery as well and provide guidance on decarbonization opportunities for other project teams
- You will be an engaged member of our Energy & Carbon Analysis team, contributing to practice development and our knowledge management system
- You will work on updating models and tools to meet desired engagement outcomes and help our clients to achieve their Net Zero goals
- Your area of focus could range from existing building energy modeling, advanced data analysis to site investigation work to evaluate the feasibility of implementation
- We'd love to hear from you if you...Have a diploma or degree from an accredited university or college in mechanical engineering or applied science as well as 1-4 years in energy analysis, buildings engineering, modeling and data analytics,
- Are a whiz with Excel – you more than know your way around and are comfortable using VBA, PowerQueries and other advanced features
- You’ve got experience in decarbonization of existing buildings and have a solid understanding of mechanical systems and HVAC equipment
- You are familiar with different building automation systems and know how to read, evaluate, and export data from BAS
- You have a practical understanding of different HVAC systems including ventilation systems, DHW plants, heating and cooling plants, and district energy systems
- You are familiar with provincial and national codes and ASHRAE standards and guidelines
- You have working knowledge of RETScreen
- You have knowledge of lifecycle assessment and cost benefit analysis
- You are familiar with sustainable technologies, electrification methods, and GHG reduction approaches
- You are experienced in performing energy audits, identifying energy savings opportunities, using tools and technology to compare cost effective energy options and making recommendations to achieve more energy efficient operation.
- You can review architectural, mechanical, or electrical plans and specifications to evaluate energy efficiency or determine economic, service, or engineering feasibility
- You’re registered as a Professional Engineer or are working towards becoming one
- The following would be ideal, but are not required:
- Have previous clearance status (reliability or secret) with Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC)
- Have some experience with Building Sciences, Lighting, Electrical Systems and Envelope
- Have experience with SQL, Python and data visualization tools
- Have experience with hourly building energy simulations software such as IESVE and eQuest
- Have experience with Renewable Energy Design Software such as Helioscope
- You’re a great team player and enjoy working as part of a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team finding solutions for our clients
- You’re responsible and efficient – you know how to meet deadlines, deliverables and deliver high quality work product
- Your communication skills are excellent – you’re able to easily articulate ideas and build relationships with peers and clients
- You’re motivated to continuously learn and improve your technical and professional skills and want to contribute to a growing team delivering cutting edge solutions
Your application has been successfully submitted.