Project Manager, Building Condition Assessment
WSP is currently seeking a Project Manager to join our Building Sciences team, located at our Ottawa (2611 Queensview Drive) office. This position will be responsible for leading Building Condition Assessment services in the National Capital Region and contributing to portfolio work with the national team across Canada. The role may also involve contributing to Building Envelope restoration consulting services for existing buildings of all types.
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer,
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future. We offer flexible work options including remote work.
# We Are WSP
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering consulting firms and has one of Canada’s largest building sciences teams. Our Ottawa Building Sciences team consists of about 40 members. Our aim is to understand, design and enhance the built environment by building solutions at every opportunity. We assist our clients by providing thorough, timely and well-documented building evaluations, "due diligence" reports and capital plans to building owners, managers and tenants of all types of facilities. buildings and seniors’ housing properties. Our capital projections are based on our decades of experience renewing, repairing and restoring buildings. We draw on a wealth of resources, including seasoned structural engineers, corrosion experts, building envelope designers and concrete restoration professionals. We are the first choice for clients because we work with them as a strategic partner, providing value-based solutions backed by our extensive knowledge and experience.
A day in the life:
- Manage and perform Building Condition Assessments (BCAs) on a diverse range of new and existing buildings across all market sectors, including office, retail, industrial, multi-residential, institutional, etc. to evaluate present conditions, diagnose problems, improve sustainability, and identify short and long-term repair and capital renewal needs.
- Tailor the scope of work to support client BCA mandate including transactional (pre-purchase, pre-sale, re-finance), capital planning, problem-specific assessments and more.
- Prepare thorough, accurate and concise reports, including detailed cost estimates based on real-world data.
- Assist with project administration including calling clients and site contacts to coordinate reviews and document retrieval. Review relevant documentation in advance of performing detailed site inspections.
- Manage and contribute to the preparation of condominium Reserve Fund Studies, allowing owners to plan for the repair and renewal of major building systems.
- Present capital recommendations to clients in both informal and formal meetings and presentations.
- Contribute to delivering industry-leading Building Science Restoration services, including evaluation, design/specification and tender and construction review and contract administration services.
- Work closely with our related Buildings teams, particularly those providing Structural, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Sustainability and Energy, and other services to inform and enhance BCA reporting.
- Understand client needs and goals in order to prepare winning proposals for Due Diligence, Capital Planning, Refinancing, Performance Audits, and Reserve Fund Study reports, and for Design and Tender services for building systems upgrades and renewal.
- Assign project team and manage project to achieve deliverables on time and on budget.
- Understand and manage client expectations and direct WSP performance to meet or exceed them.
- Lead meetings with clients and stakeholders to receive feedback, discuss revisions and enhance the trust relationship.
- Hold close-out meetings to review staff performance and provide timely and constructive feedback to team members; use project outcomes to enhance our processes and procedures.
- Handle P.O.s and invoicing and manage Accounts Receivable within targets.
- Maintain a consistent project workload to achieve annual revenue targets.
- Apply Triple Bottom Line (financial, social and environmental) thinking to each client project.
Practice and Processes
- Commit to embracing and enhancing a culture of knowledge sharing and continuous learning.
- Contribute expertise and time to Building Science Centres of Excellence.
- Strive to contribute WSP industry-leading service delivery and reputation by liaising with clients, attending trade shows, etc.
- Seek to innovate our delivery processes and procedures to improve efficiency, quality and liability control.
- Integrate, coach and develop peers and more junior co-workers through on-going project work.
We'd love to hear from you if you have...
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in building sciences, engineering or architecture, focusing on Building Condition Assessments or Reserve Fund Study planning;
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Building Science, Architectural Science, Diploma in Architectural / Engineering Technology or a construction-related discipline;
- P.Eng. designation is an asset
- An excellent communicator, with strong verbal, written and presentation skills in the English language. French is an asset, but not a requirement;
- In addition to a solid foundation in building systems, display a keen interest in developing knowledge around building science, historical and modern construction methods, building materials, structural, mechanical, and electrical systems;
- Ability to quickly identify and understand project issues and opportunities;
- In-depth knowledge of building materials and constructions processes for design and/or repairs building envelopes;
- A team player who thrives on working with other successful, energetic people;
- Proficiency in MS Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Possess a valid G-class driver’s license; and
- Transfer or receipt of security clearance with PSPC will be required for successful applicants.
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe and the growing list of our clients including vaccination status as part of their mandated health and safety requirements to work with them, you will be required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to WSP as a condition of employment. You may also be required to undergo additional immunization to maintain a fully vaccinated status against COVID-19 whenever local Public Health Authorities recommend additional immunization.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
WSP Canada Inc.