Decarbonization Engineer - Mechanical
Buildings are an important part of our lives, keeping us warm and dry while we work, learn, rest, and play. They’re fascinating and complex systems, products of material, sweat, and design. They’re also responsible for 40% of the world’s carbon emissions; their transformation will be key to averting climate disaster. If you look at buildings and can’t help but see all of these facets at once, you should be working with us.
SES Consulting is a mission-driven social enterprise: a team of energy efficiency engineers who specialize in decarbonizing existing buildings. Enacting our values of Accountability, Impact and Heart, we take on ambitious, challenging projects, and design novel solutions that move buildings – and our practice and industry – towards a zero-carbon future. People are at the centre of everything we do, from designing systems that address the needs of current occupants and future generations, to modelling our business practices around our principles as a certified B-Corporation.
- You are an experienced mechanical design engineering professional with a passion for climate action and sustainable buildings.
- You have previous mechanical design experience, in either Multi-Unit Residential Buildings or Commercial Buildings.
- Ideally, you've worked through the implementation of your designs, and understand that not even the most elegant idea survives first contact with the real-world without a scratch; either way, you love a good challenge.
What you’ll do
- You will be involved in mechanical design consulting projects that transform existing buildings through retrofits and energy efficiency upgrades.
- Specific technical duties will include identifying decarbonization opportunities and solutions through energy studies, developing conceptual designs, selecting and sizing equipment, and preparing cost estimates and tender packages for contractor installation to bring your designs to life. You’ll be empowered to take initiative, including managing internal deliverables and team members to deliver inspiring and impactful projects.
- This is a full-time position overseen by a Senior Engineer. You will have opportunities to pursue professional development and training in technical areas, project management, and leadership skills according to your interests.
What we need from you
- Demonstrated passion for climate action
- Engineering degree, or equivalent education (e.g. Mechanical Engineering Technologist)
- Previous mechanical design experience in building systems (e.g. pump selection, heat pumps, air conditioning, boilers, hydronics, heat exchangers, plumbing, air handling units, ductwork design)
- Available to periodically travel to job sites in BC for field review or to collect site information on HVAC systems (estimated 1-2 times per month)
- Ability to think critically, take initiative and work independently
- Effective communication skills, including written and oral English
- Excellent skills in MS Word and Excel
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in Canada
Ideally, you would also have
- Eligibility for, or current Engineer in Training (EIT) or P. Eng. status with Engineers and Geoscientists BC (EGBC)
- Familiarity with BC codes and ASHRAE standards related to HVAC building design
- Experience with Carrier HAP, AutoCAD, or similar programs
- Great attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple and diverse projects and issues concurrently at a detailed level while meeting deadlines
- Technical writing skills e.g. report writing
- Understanding of DDC and HVAC systems
What we’re offering
- A full-time, permanent position
- Flexible hours and schedule
- A highly competitive salary and compensation package (Wage based on experience $80,000-$100,000)
- The opportunity to work on challenging, meaningful projects that make a difference for people and the planet.
- The opportunity to work with a company whose business practices and staff embrace equity, transparency, work-life-balance, environmental sustainability, and our community.
- Significant career development and progression opportunities
- Hybrid or remote (with travel) working environment
- Comprehensive benefits and health & wellness package
- Profit-sharing program that rewards commitment and collective success
SES is committed to facilitating, recruiting, and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects our community and those we serve. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, sex, marital or parental status, disability, gender identity or expression, or age.
Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do. At SES Consulting, we are committed to crafting a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply. We commit to considering the full scope of your candidacy, and are happy to make any accommodations requested to facilitate the selection process.
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Decarbonization Engineer - Mechanical” as the subject line.
Please include a summary of your demonstrated passion for climate action and sustainability, and where you heard about the posting.
We thank all applicants for your interest. However, due to volume we will only contact those shortlisted for the position. NO telephone inquiries please.
SES Consulting is grateful to work on the unceded, ancestral territories of the xʷməθkʷəjˀəm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh-ulh Temíx̱w (Squamish), səl̓ilwətaɁɬ təməxʷ (Tsleil Waututh), Coast Salish, Á,LEṈENEȻ ȽTE (W̱SÁNEĆ) and Lekwungen/Songhees Nations.
To learn more about SES Consulting, please visit our web site at www.sesconsulting.com.
Engineering Energy Efficiency