Senior Electrical Engineering
Kilo Power Inc. – Background
Kilo is a renewable energy engineering organization specializing in various aspects of utility-scale solar power generation projects in North America and beyond.
Founded in 2016 and based in Calgary, Alberta, Kilo recognizes the needs of the developer and provides a responsive, reliable, and high-quality service to clients with a small, highly experienced team. Kilo has been a part of some of the largest projects in Canada and strives to provide world-class expertise to its growing list of clients.
Due to continuous growth in renewables and a growing project list, Kilo is looking for the right new team member to join our dynamic group of experienced individuals, and work on some of the most interesting and rewarding projects in North America and beyond.
For more information: www.kilopower.ca
As a senior member of the Kilo team, the Senior Electrical Engineer will be responsible for leading projects and managing performance of electrical aspects of projects including, but not limited to, due diligence, feasibility, solar and wind project design. This includes training and mentoring of junior and intermediate engineers in the Electrical Engineering team, as well as mentoring of other disciplines as required.
This position is in-office Tuesday to Thursday, with remote work option for Mondays and Fridays.
- Solar and battery energy storage design activities including mentorship of electrical engineering team.
- Prepare Design Basis Documents (DBD) and Scope of Work (SoW) for use in EPC documents.
- Create optimized solar layout/electrical designs for various equipment capacities and configurations using AutoCAD/PVCad/PVCase/PVsyst/ETAP.
- Manage and implement the interconnection requirements into each design.
- Lead the energy storage technical design team.
- Stamp drawings and documents where required.
- Solar Energy and Battery Energy Storage Modeling:
- Run solar energy models using PVsyst while gaining an understanding of the numerous parameters, assumptions and how they all interact to affect the outcome.
- Medium and High Voltage system designs:
- Prepare preliminary layouts, Single Line Diagrams, specifications for Inverters, Transformers, MV switchgear, MV cables and HV substations.
- Management (and performance of) interconnection interface management process with Enmax, Fortis, AltaLink, ATCO, AESO and equivalent.
- Other technical analysis:
- Detailed design for solar and battery energy storage projects.
- Solar electrical design including array optimization, loss calculation, parasitic load calculations, cable sizing, trench design, creating/reviewing SLD’s, protection and controls design, SCADA design, etc.
- Produce technology comparisons and cost analysis towards optimization for lowest levelized cost of electricity (LCOE).
- Analysis of different types, technologies and capacities of inverters, transformers, racking, trackers, storage technologies.
- Create complex comparison spreadsheets with numerous parameters, with the goal of identifying the optimum configuration for each individual project.
- Other duties:
- Provide mentorship of Electrical Engineering team members.
- Support APEGA P.Eng registration process for Electrical Engineering team members.
- Provide business and execution strategy input to the President.
- Support business development efforts.
- Act as APEGA Responsible Member.
- Resource management and planning for Electrical Engineering team.
- Manage internal electrical design review process.
- Conduct project feasibility studies and create reports with inputs from other team members or external SMEs.
- Assess potential new renewable energy projects and sites with respect to various constraints including regulatory, stakeholder relations, interconnection, energy resource, geotechnical, etc.
- Conduct project due diligence analysis and create reports with inputs from other team members or external SMEs.
- Perform project management functions such as preparing project plans, schedules, budgets and cost estimates.
- Present technical analysis and data in reports, summarize key findings and make appropriate recommendations for project optimization.
- Identify project risks and provide recommendations to mitigate risks.
- Compile technical data and provide input/recommendations on scope of work for client proposals.
- Maintain and develop processes and best practices for quality control.
- Liaise with clients and address questions and/or concerns utilizing technical data and industry knowledge.
- Navigate projects through the AESO (or equivalent) interconnection process.
- Keep updated on renewable developments in Canada and internationally.
- Participate in industry meetings and events (such as CanREA, AUC, AESO, etc) as required.
- Participate in meetings, site visits, conventions, trade shows and renewable energy industry events as required in Canada and internationally.
Follow and abide by Kilo’s policies and procedures; and any other duties requested by Kilo, acting reasonably. The responsibilities listed above are subject to change based on the operational requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering.
- Registration or ability to be registered with APEGA.
- 10+ years industry experience; preference of power generation and/or renewables experience.
- 4+ years in a project environment.
- 3+ years of leadership experience preferred.
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment with a small team considered an asset.
- Other equivalent combinations of directly related post-secondary education and directly related experience may be considered.
- Proven ability to mentor and help develop Engineers.
- Superior level of technical knowledge and ability to communicate technical data to various stakeholders.
- Project management skills including best practices, leadership, planning, scheduling, budgeting, technical analysis, reporting, etc.
- Familiarity with rules, regulations, best practices, and performance standards within the power industry, preferably within renewable energy.
- Strong understanding of project controls, scheduling, budgeting, and tracking, with ability to develop and use financial and non-financial metrics and targets to ensure successful project completion.
- Able to exercise independent judgement and discretion, as well as represent the company with the highest degree of professionalism.
- Self-starter with ability to assess situations and solve problems through structured thinking and analysis.
- Excellent planning and time management skills, with ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Adaptable with action-oriented approach, strong work ethic and high integrity.
- Ability to effectively work within a team, build trust and strong working relationships both in an in-person and virtual work environment.
- Strong capabilities with Microsoft Office 365.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to travel within Canada and internationally, including to the US.
- Ability to occasionally work outside of regular business hours, as per operational requirements.
To apply for this position, please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kilo is a Canadian-based renewable energy consulting organization.