Director of Communications and Knowledge Mobilization
Director of Communications and Knowledge Mobilization
Title: Director of Communications and Knowledge Mobilization
Location: Remote, anywhere in Canada
Details: Full time, virtual role
Compensation: To be negotiated. This position has a competitive compensation package benchmarked to sector standards.
Application: Applicants interested in this position are invited to forward their resume and short cover letter to email@example.com. Please put ‘Director of Communications and Knowledge Mobilization’ in the subject line, and tell us where you found this job posting (e.g. LinkedIn, Transition Accelerator website, etc.). We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis, until the right candidate is found.
The Transition Accelerator is a pan-Canadian organization dedicated to solving Canada’s business and social challenges while helping to create and move down pathways to net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
Reporting to The Transition Accelerator’s CEO, the Communications and Knowledge Mobilization Director will be a key mobilizer of our strategic objectives, ensuring that organizational vision, voice and brand are consistent and engaging across all materials. The Director will also be in charge of managing the organization’s reputation, strategically positioning us as an authoritative source of information on the net-zero transition.
The position leads a team of communications, engagement and knowledge mobilization professionals and works closely with the Accelerator’s leadership, staff, and consortia to ensure consistent, effective, and timely delivery of our content and communications. The Transition Accelerator equips key decision-makers and leaders in government, industry and civil society with the tools and practices necessary to reach net-zero emissions by 2050. The Communications and Knowledge Mobilization Director understands the urgency of this goal, and how to strategize, pitch and mobilize target audiences toward it.
What you’ll do
Communications and Knowledge Mobilization
- Develop creative, integrated communication and knowledge mobilization strategies that increase The Transition Accelerator’s presence and stakeholder awareness in alignment with our strategic objectives
- Create a “partnership first” culture in recognition that a net-zero emissions, competitive economy by 2050 is a wicked problem best tackled in a collaborative model with like-minded people and organizations
- Maintain and execute against a dynamic content and programming calendar in collaboration with technical staff
- Lead a team of communications, engagement, and knowledge mobilization professionals, providing mentorship, guidance, and support to team members
- Manage proactive and reactive media relations with top-tier media
- Monitor, evaluate, and report on communications and knowledge mobilization activities
- Translate The Accelerator’s values and desired outcomes into best-in-class communications that amplify our voice and deepen target audience engagement
- Oversee the development and deployment of The Accelerator’s suite of courses and webinars aimed at key decision-makers and leaders in government, industry, and civil society
- Draft and curate written materials such as presentations, briefing notes, news releases, brochures, newsletters, and more for print, digital, and multimedia assets
- Develop and implement communications and knowledge mobilization plans and strategies for The Transition Accelerator’s consortia projects or initiatives
- Tighten and strengthen our brand, ensuring its unity and polish across all content offerings (courses, events, email, website, digital marketing, and more)
Administration and Finance
- Lead the development of the Communications and Knowledge Mobilization division’s operating budget and ensure financial integrity is maintained
- Manage the hiring, training, and development of pertinent staff
- Manage external vendors such as designers, developers, communications consultants, etc.
Who you are
- 8+ years’ experience in a similar role
- Degree in communications or journalism highly preferred
- Experience working in both highly structured and creative, fast-moving environments
- Ability to collaborate with a small and growing team with competing demands; able to execute a high volume of activity and projects with speed, excellence, and humour
- Extensive experience in developing and implementing creative, bold communications strategies in a very fast-paced environment
- Experience in managing and building relationships with regional and national media
- Strong leadership skills, with experience in managing and mentoring teams
- Outstanding oral, written, and editing skills; bilingualism would be a significant asset
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines
- Keen understanding of the digital media landscape, strategic communication and knowledge mobilization concepts, content management systems, and multimedia software
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders, including Transition Accelerator’s board, senior leadership, technical staff, media outlets, and consortia partners
- This is a full-time role, with duties that may adapt as the organization grows
- This is a fully remote position, but the selected applicant should be able to participate in in-person meetings across Canada
- This position has an attractive compensation package benchmarked to sector standards
Candidates for this position must reflect the values of The Transition Accelerator. These values include:
- Embracing a positive, forward-thinking attitude in an often fluid environment with multiple unknown technical and practical variables
- Working collaboratively with individuals sometimes having diverse and opposing views
- Grounding all work in evidence-based analyses and sound technical practices
- Hard-working, with attention to detail and a skill in communicating complex insights to a broad audience
- Embracing a multi-disciplinary and pluralistic approach, with the ability to quickly change direction and opinions based on new evidence
- Focusing on innovation over status-quo
- A can-do attitude with a commitment to help drive change
Applicants interested in this position are invited to forward their resumes and short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Director of Communications and Knowledge Mobilization” in the subject line, and tell us where you found this job posting (e.g. LinkedIn). We will be reviewing candidates on a rolling basis until the right candidate is found. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
The Accelerator recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, age, sex, national origin, disability, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
The Transition Accelerator
The Transition Accelerator is a pan-Canadian organization that works to identify and advance viable pathways to Canada's 2050 climate targets